The Associate of Science degree program in Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Treatment prepares the students to help with the promotion of recovery, community integration, and improved quality of life for people living with psychiatric disabilities.
Psychosocial Rehabilitation professionals provide community-based supports and services to people diagnosed with severe mental illnesses. There are career opportunities in a variety of psychiatric rehabilitation and community mental health settings, such as residential, partial care and supported employment programs.
Application to Rutgers needs to be made in the Fall semester. Students will be contacted by the office of Health Science Education once they have completed the minimum requirement of 18 credits of the required coursework at RVCC. The clinical coursework at Rutgers begins in September and January and all RVCC coursework must be completed by the previous semester. Applications will be due to Rutgers June 1 to start in September and October 15 to start in January. Please contact the Coordinator of Allied Health when ready to apply.
A student must be enrolled at RVCC in order to apply for the Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Treatment portion of the program. These courses must be completed with a minimum GPA of 2.5 for a student to be recommended to the Psychosocial Rehabilitation portion of the program.
Graduates will be able to:
- develop competencies to work effectively with people who have psychiatric disabilities as outlined by the Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association.
- apply the goals, values, and principles of the field of psychiatric rehabilitation in practice settings.
- utilize communication techniques in a professional capacity with individuals, families, team members, and people in the community.
- develop skills needed to effectively facilitate rehabilitation groups.
- work effectively as a team member to provide wellness and recovery focused rehabilitation services.
- complete documentation requirements to meet state and federal insurance regulations.
- provide psychiatric rehabilitation interventions to promote skill development and resource acquisition.
- Describe and utilize evidence based psychiatric rehabilitation practices.
Students must contact Kathleen Michell, Director of Allied Health, once they have completed their prerequisites. For additional details and requirements on this program, please visit: www.shp.rutgers.edu