Feb 25, 2024
The Associate of Science degree program in Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Treatment prepares the students to help with the promotion of recovery, community integration, and improved quality of life for people living with psychiatric disabilities.
Psychosocial Rehabilitation professionals provide community-based supports and services to people diagnosed with severe mental illnesses. There are career opportunities in a variety of psychiatric rehabilitation and community mental health settings, such as residential, partial care and supported employment programs.
Application to Rutgers needs to be made in the Fall semester. Students will be contacted by the office of Health Science Education once they have completed the minimum requirement of 18 credits of the required coursework at RVCC. The clinical coursework at Rutgers begins in September and January and all RVCC coursework must be completed by the previous semester. Applications will be due to Rutgers June 1 to start in September and October 15 to start in January. Please contact the Coordinator of Allied Health when ready to apply.
A student must be enrolled at RVCC in order to apply for the Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Treatment portion of the program. These courses must be completed with a minimum GPA of 2.5 for a student to be recommended to the Psychosocial Rehabilitation portion of the program.
Requirements for admission to Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Treatment portion of the program*
Credits 35 - 36
*A minimum of 20 credits must be completed at Raritan Valley Community College.
Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Treatment Program at Rutgers
First Semester - Spring
- PSRT 1101 - Introduction to Principles of Psychosocial Rehabilitation 3 Credits
- PSRT 1102 - Communication Techniques for Interviewing and Counseling 3 Credits
- PSRT 1103 - Introduction to Group Dynamics and Process 3 Credits
- PSRT 1204 - Clinical Principles in Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Treatment 3 Credits
Second Semester - Fall
- PSRT 1019 - Clinical Practicum in Psychosocial Rehabilitation I 6 Credits
- PSRT 2121 - Community Resource Management 3 Credits
Third Semester - Spring
- PSRT 2019 - Clinical Practicum in Psychosocial Rehabilitation II 6 Credits
- PSRT 2231 - Emerging Topics in Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Treatment 3 Credits
Total Credits for A.S. Degree 65 - 66
1 Mathematics by official placement test. Students may not take courses below placement level.
2 Select a course from the appropriate category of the General Education list.