The Associate of Science degree in Exercise Science prepares students for jobs in the fitness industry, including health clubs, corporate fitness centers and personal training. At the same time, the program prepares the student for transfer into a four-year degree program as a junior in majors such as Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, Athletic Training, Exercise Science, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and related programs. Students interested in Sports Management or Sports Marketing should consider the AS Exercise Science, Sports Management option.
The fitness industry has a wide variety of jobs available and is projected to be a growth industry throughout the next decade.
Graduates are able to:
- apply acquired fitness knowledge working in outside companies and within the college’s fitness center.
- explain and evaluate the benefits and risks of exercise and its influence on overall health
- administer and interpret fitness/exercise tests and prescribe exercise programs for a variety of populations
- demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of the muscles, bones, connective tissue, energy systems and how to train them; common injuries and basic first aid; and the effects of exercise in relation to many diseases, including heart disease, cancer, diabetes and obesity
- apply knowledge and practical experience to pass a nationally-recognized, accredited personal fitness trainer certification
Raritan Valley Community College Associate of Arts (AA) and Associate of Science (AS) degree programs are designed to comply with the New Jersey Community Colleges General Education Foundation which supports transfer of courses to NJ Public four-year colleges and universities. Students who intend to transfer to a NJ college or university can further improve the transfer of courses by using the Recommended Transfer Program (RTP) feature in NJTransfer.org.