Nov 26, 2020
The Associate of Science degree program in Respiratory Care prepares students to become therapists in the field of respiratory care. Students apply scientific knowledge to practical problems of respiratory care and are qualified to assume primary responsibility for all respiratory care modalities, including supervision of respiratory therapy technicians.
Students can find employment in a variety of clinical settings. Students are qualified to work in the various specialty areas, such as pediatrics and neonatal, management and education. In addition, opportunities for advancement in areas such as supervision, education and equipment sales and marketing are available to the experienced, credentialed practitioner. Students are also qualified to provide care in patients’ homes, rehabilitation centers, nursing homes and other health care facilities.
Students enrolled in this joint health care program attend classes at both Raritan Valley Community College and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey following a prepared curriculum approved by the two institutions.
Requirements for admission to Respiratory Care portion of the program
*Upon completion of the first year with a minimum 2.75 GPA , students must apply for selective admission to the clinical portion of the program.
*The Health Organization Basic Entrance Test (HOBET) is required of all applicants for the UMDNJ portion of the program. Scores will be used to determine admission.
*A minimum of 20 credits must be completed at Raritan Valley Community College.
Respiratory Care Program at UMDNJ
First Semester - Fall
- RSTN 2100 Core Concepts of Respiratory Care 2 Credits
- RSTN 2100 Fundamentals of Respiratory Care 4 Credits
- RSTN 2231 Applied Cardiopulmonary Pathophysiology I 3 Credits
- RSTN 2220 Cardiopulmonary Pharmacology 3 Credits
- RSTN 2189 Clinical Practice I 1 Credit
Second Semester - Spring
- RSTN 2250 Principles of Ventilatory Support 5 Credits
- RSTN 2232 Applied Cardiopulmonary Pathophysiology II 2 Credits
- RSTN 2255 Pediatric and Neonatal Respiratory Care 3 Credits
- RSTN 2230 Cardiopulmonary Evaluation 3 Credits
- RSTN 2289 Clinical Practice II 2 Credits
Third Semester - Summer
- RSTN 2340 Patient Management in Critical Care 3 Credits
- RSTN 2370 Long-Term, Home and Rehabilitative Care 3 Credits
- RSTN 2389 Clinical Practice III 3 Credits