The AAS in Commercial Energy Management Technology (CEM-Tech) prepares students to start careers as Energy, Facilities, Operations, Building, Plant, and Maintenance managers; Energy Auditors and/or Technicians; Maintenance Supervisors, Building & Grounds superintendents; Building Automation Technicians/Programmers/Engineers; Project Engineers and/or Project Managers; New Construction Technicians and/or Sales Associates. Graduates are qualified for employment with HVAC Control companies, Physical Plant Departments in colleges, universities, hospitals, government buildings, commercial, and industrial facilities. Students receive instruction in quantitative and manipulative skills associated with web-based Digital Controls, Controller hardware and software set-up and troubleshooting, networking, integration and programming as it applies to building automation; building walk-throughs for the identification of Energy Conservation Opportunities (ECOs), Level 1 & Level-2 Energy Audits, Analysis of Equipment/System performance and the Commissioning Process.
Graduates are able to:
- assemble, program, troubleshoot and network Direct Digital Controllers
- use engineering manuals and programs for analysis and verification of equipment performance
- learn to use tools and testing instruments used in the field by Energy Auditors and Building Commissioning Agents
- perform building walk-throughs and assemble Energy Audit reports, together with the use of Energy Auditing software
- identify the various types of commercial HVAC systems that are most often seen in commercial sites
- define, specify, plan and verify the check-out, start-up, and functional testing of building systems, using RVCC’s buildings for learning