The Associate of Science Degree in Interior Architecture and Design prepares students for transfer into Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) and Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree programs at four-year institutions and professional schools of art and design or to pursue jobs in the ﬁeld of interior design and the built environment. This degree is intended for students who desire careers as Interior Designers.
In an A.S. program, students pursue rigorous training and design education to prepare them to continue their studies through the baccalaureate level. Throughout the year, design lectures, trade lectures, workshops, seminars, ﬁeld trips to showrooms and bus trips to New York museums and galleries supplement the program.
Interior Architecture and Design majors participate in a ﬁrst-year review and are given individual help with preparing their portfolios for transferring to a four-year art program, internships and job searches in the Portfolio Development for Interior Design course.
Two student art exhibitions are held in the College Art Gallery during the year: a Juried Art Exhibition in the fall semester and a Student Art Exhibition curated by the faculty in the spring semester.
Graduates are able to:
- interpret the role of the interior designer
- apply basic technical, formal and conceptual design skills in the creation of residential and commercial interior space
- identify major designers and design movements from a historic, cultural, and social perspective
- analyze design concepts and theories
- present design concepts, plans and processes through traditional and digital means demonstrate technical and creative development through a portfolio of design work
- investigate a career in interior design and the built environment
Raritan Valley Community College Associate of Arts (AA) and Associate of Science (AS) degree programs are designed to comply with the New Jersey Community Colleges General Education Foundation which supports transfer of courses to NJ Public four-year colleges and universities. Students who intend to transfer to a NJ college or university can further improve the transfer of courses by using the Recommended Transfer Program (RTP) feature in NJTransfer.org.