The Event Planning/Meeting Management Certificate is a 30-credit certificate program that combines necessary business, marketing, communication, computer, and public relations skills for people who wish to learn the principles and practices of event planning and meeting management. The purpose of the certificate program is to help students prepare for or enhance employment opportunities with trade or professional associations, non-profit organizations and corporations, or work as independent consultants in the field of event planning and meeting management.
The certificate program includes one three-credit course to address specific competencies that effective event planners and meeting managers need to master, such as program planning, budgeting and finance management, site selection, communication with clients and vendors, legal considerations, negotiation techniques, promotion and marketing. The Event Planning/Meeting Management Certificate program also includes a three-credit event production course in which students produce an event and manage budgets, timelines, menus, advertising, and all tasks associated with event production. Alternatively, students may enroll in a three-credit cooperative education that provides students with actual field experience in events planning and meeting management.
Graduates are able to:
- determine and state event or meeting objectives
- prepare and manage a budget for an event or meeting
- discuss legal issues pertaining to event planning and meeting management, such as liability, insurance and confirmation letters
- recognize basic components of a facility or vendor contract
- select and prepare a site for an event or meeting that will suit the needs of the group and the event or meeting objectives
- promote and market an event or meeting
- select appropriate food and beverage options that will suit the needs of the group and the event or meeting objectives
- communicate effectively with clients, vendors and support services to plan and manage an event or meeting